Re: failure of unzip and recent cygwin1.dll

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:09:07PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

>> >What you are debugging is the consequences of cmalloc being NULL.  While
>> >that may illustrate that cygwin should recover more robustly from such a
>> >situation, it is not directly related to the problem at hand, namely,
>> >"Why is cmalloc returning NULL?"
>>
>> I noticed that a) Thomas' file names are unusually long and
>> b) path_conv::set_normalized_path calls cmalloc only for long paths.
>>
>> Thus I decided to check if the normalized path is correctly freed.
>> That would explain why cmalloc is returning NULL.
>> As far as I can see, it isn't freed, at least not all the time.
>> When running /bin/ls very_long_path I see 4 allocs and 2 frees.
>>
>> However I don't find an obvious bug and I don't have the time to pursue
>> this for the moment.
>>
>> Pierre
>
>If I read the code correctly, normalized_path has to be explicitly freed.
>One of the places normalized_path is freed is in conv_path_list_buf_size,
>and the cfree is followed by the following FIXME comment:
>
>	cfree (pc.normalized_path);
>	// FIXME - probably should be in a destructor but
>	// it's hard to justify a destructor for the few
>	// places where this is needed
>
>I believe a destructor would be cleaner, and the current code obviously
>misses at least one more place where this is needed.  Unfortunately, with
>my copyright assignment in flux, I can't send in a patch.  If noone fixes
>this by the time I can send patches, I'll try to send in a fix for this.

It's not that simple.  path_conv objects can persist, even over fork/exec.
So a simple destructor would be guaranteed to do the wrong thing.

If this is truly an issue with normalized_path not getting freed then
just opening a file with a long name and closing it multiple times would
eventually exhaust the cygheap.

I guess I'll write a test case to try that.

cgf