Re: limiting strace?

At 04:32 PM 2/16/2004, Thomas L Roche wrote:
>> I know how to use those tools to *report from* strace.out ... but
>> that's not what I'm trying to do. I don't want to say, "give me the
>> last million lines from strace.out"--windows being what it is, if
>> the file's big enough I may not get a chance to ask!

>> I want instead to say something like, "don't let strace.out get
>> bigger than a million lines," or 1GB, or something like that.

because, again, I'm concerned the *the output from strace* will be
larger than my diskspace.

Larry Hall 02/16/2004 04:42:48 PM:
> In your case, it sounds to me like you could just pipe the output of
> strace into grep looking for a keyword or two specific to the error
> message and the strace message that Chris embellished for you.

Hmm ... filter line-by-line? The problem with that (AFAICS--feel free
to inform otherwise) is loss of context: but if all Faylor wants is on
one line, I'll give

strace | fgrep 'commit memory for cygwin heap' > strace.filtered.out

a shot. (Feel free to recommend something better!)