RE: Text entry to command line program

At 11:41 AM 2/4/2004, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) you wrote:
>To be more specific, while tty must be set beforehand,

Right, that's what the doc says and it's right! ;-)

>the web page is
>silent about other CYGWIN options.

Sounds sinister.  We must all combat this conspiracy of silence.

>Here's an example:  I set codepage:oem in CYGWIN.  When I run ascii, I see
>the correct OEM characters.  Then, in the same bash shell (no rxvt), if I
>change CYGWIN to have codepage:ansi, I get the ANSI characters.  Resetting
>in bash to codepage:oem gives OEM.  Then if I mark, block, and copy high
>order characters, and then paste the high order characters onto the command
>line, they look just like they were when ascii displayed them, no matter
>what codepage is set to.  if they were pasted behind echo, and then execute
>echo, again they look just like what they were when ascii displayed them.
>Doing echo x | tr x '\266' gives what character is appropriate for what
>codepage is set to at the time.
>
>So changing codepage in CYGWIN after a bash shell is launched can change
>cygwin behavior.

Yep.  Some options are only read at DLL start time.  Others are read
"more frequently".  Feel free to offer a patch to the User's Guide to
update it with this information for each option if you're interested.