re: Problems with Emacs

>Yesterday, I reinstalled cygwin from scratch choosing (among other
>packages) the latest version 21.2.12 of emacs. Most of the time I try to
>start the program (using X) , it launches o.k. But sometimes, the window
>pops up and it freezes taking all of the cpu (it says "loading ed mode").
>I have repeatedly tried to uninstall and reinstall emacs and I keep
>getting the same errors.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas? Has anybody else seen this?

Yes,

I updated my cygwin installation on friday 23 january 2004, and immediately emacs has become unreliable. Attached updated.txt shows what was updated.

emacs core dumps regularly, sometimes when I'm not touching it, sometimes when I am. I tried to use dumper.exe to actually get a core dump. It didn't work the first couple of times (see attached "core dump from dumper"), but then I got a core dump with stack trace (seen twice):

#0  0x77f83786 in ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x77f83786 in ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject ()
#1  0x77e8780f in WaitForSingleObjectEx ()
#2  0x77e87837 in WaitForSingleObject ()
#3  0x000000c8 in ?? ()
#4  0x0000ea60 in ?? ()

I also got:

- [3]+  Segmentation fault      emacs  (wd: /cygdrive/h/matrix-drawing-analysis-tools/lib)

   with no core dump (dumper didn't seem to be invoked) regularly

- X protocol errors:

   this seems to have stopped happening, and I didn't capture
   the message at the times, but from memory it was something about
   a bad length. I tries running emacs "synchronous" under gdb
   to catch the stack trace at the time but gdb couldn't break in
   _XError (or main for that matter).

I also tried:

- running emacs -nw (didn't crash)
- going back to XWin windowed mode (i.e. default behaviour), which is what I was using before any upgrades:
   - got emacs exit with Segmentation Fault (no core dump)
- running emacs -q (still in XWin windowed mode):
   - got "Exit 128 emacs -q (wd: ~)" (no core dump)
- building emacs from sources (the gnu emacs distribution):
   - configure doesn't know about cygwin

How is the emacs code (officially) compiled for cygwin (it might help if I could compile it with debug and run it under gdb)?

Trevor