Re: csh color codes

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 gobo@gobo-net.de wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am running the latest Cygwin on my Win2k and I'm using csh as the
> standard shell. The color mode for XTerm is enabled and works fine, e.g.
> with "ls --color".
>
> However I have a problem to figure out how to generate the appropriate
> control (escape) sequences to included colors in shell script outputs. I
> have some shell scripts here which originate from a HP-UX based csh.
> There, the escape sequences are generated by pressing "Ctrl + V" + "Esc" +
> "[" + 'code', where 'code' is e.g. "1m" for bold or "32m" for green (=
> ^[[32m).
> However, these codes don't work within the Cygwin-csh.
>
> Does anyone know the correct sequences here?
> Thanks,
> Jochen =8-)

csh does nothing to interpret the sequences; it simply echoes them.  The
sequences are processed by the terminal program (either the console or the
xterm).  You only need to make sure the sequences are encoded correctly.
You might want to let some library do the encoding for you depending on
the value of TERM...

Check if the same sequences work from the HPUX bash/sh.  If they do, then
look for a problem in the way you encode the sequences in your csh
scripts.  If they don't, you're probably echoing the wrong sequences.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu