Re[3]: 'bash --login -i' takes 9 secs !

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, pd wrote:

> Tuesday, January 27, 2004, 9:09:36 PM, you wrote:
>
> IP> Now you 'strace' both calls to see where the time goes (each gives about
> IP> 300 lines of strace and, FWIW, each takes <.2s on my Win2k machine).
>
> In both cases (uname and hostname) the problem is with
> cygwin_gethostname: name 103baran
>
> Almost all the time goes there.
> Perhaps some network configuration issue, but, hmmm, figuring
> this out won't be easy (I have novell client, mounted samba shares, dns,
> netbios...)
> Anything else I could try?

Well, cygwin_gethostname is mostly a wrapper around GetComputerName,
IIUC...  Try running the following little script (assumes you have the
"make", "gcc", "gcc-mingw", and "w32api" packages installed):

cat > testGCN.c << EOF
#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main(int ac, char *av[]) {
  DWORD len = 80;
  char name[len];
  if (!GetComputerNameA(name, &len))
    return 1;
  fprintf(stderr, "Got name: '%s'\n", name);
  return 0;
}
EOF
make CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' testGCN
time ./testGCN

If the time it outputs is consistent with what you've been seeing, try
asking on a Windows forum, as this is not a Cygwin problem at all.
Otherwise, you'll need to figure out what else can cause the slowdown.
Does your machine use a DHCP connection?  Does "ipconfig /all" also take a
long time?  In the worst case you may have to build a debuggable version
of cygwin1.dll and spend some time with gdb...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu