Re: ssh configuration that is pulling my hair out!

At 03:03 AM 1/27/2004, Brian Dessent you wrote:
>Larry Hall wrote:
>
>> Precisely.  The idea of adding to the  FAQ for something that should be
>> obvious goes against my grain but I'm OK with the notion if doing so
>> addresses a problem.  But, at least to me, this one seems way off to one
>> end of "obviousness" so I have to question the "obvious" solution too.
>> Maybe there's a better solution because the problem isn't what we think
>> it is.
>
>While I understand that Cygwin cannot be responsible for what third
>parties say about its configuration, it shouldn't be entirely mysterious
>why a lot of people see that site first, and then ask here.  If you
>google for "cygwin sshd configuration" the first four hits are on
>erdelynet.com.  I don't think it's that outrageous that someone would
>google first, try the instructions presented in the results, and then
>seek out the official mailing list when that doesn't work.  Or, in other
>words, "Cygwin is cygwin, why should it matter where I saw the
>instructions?"  I don't think it would be wasteful to add a simple FAQ
>entry along the lines of "Q: I'm having problems with my sshd
>configuration, can you help?  A: Yes, please read
>/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/sshd.README.  Only those instructions are
>supported on the mailing list, if you still need help."

To me, that suggests that we need to either have a way to optionally
start the configuration of packages from setup.exe and/or somehow queue
the user into the READMEs.  This is a bit more involved to implement
than additions to the FAQ but it seems to me that it's much more likely
to eliminate the questions on this and other package configuration issues
that stem from 3rd party configuration advice.  But can anyone who has
configured sshd using erdelynet.com, for example, confirm that this is the
approach they took?

Holliston, MA 01746