RE: Fix for sshd service start failure problem

Sent: 26 January 2004 14:01From: Igor Pechtchanski
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Hughes, Bill wrote:
..snip..
> Surely it doesn't matter when the mirror was updated - if a group of
mirrors
> is up to date it doesn't matter which one was updated first (or last).
> I can understand the desire for ping info but shall we say I'm not
convinced
> that the ping data from sources.redhat.com is going to be applicable to
> another site - say someone in Europe.
> To paraphrase cgf, we wouldn't want to go to every machine and run ping
> stats for them...
> You could, if you wanted, modify setup.exe to generate ping information
for
> every up to date server and use that for the convenience of the user. If
you
> wanted - or make the option available.
> That wasn't a feature request btw, or even a suggestion - just an
> observation. Hmmm, it might be useful but I suspect it's a WIBNI and won't
> make it to anybody's priority list.

FWIW, that's actually what I was thinking of doing, but I was hoping to
reuse the last-update info (which won't change with the user's
geographical position).  I *could* try to get the timestamp on one of the
files on the mirror as part of the ping...
	Igor

But surely all you need is a flag to say that a particular mirror is up to
date,
why do you need any more than that (network speed issues aside)?
It's either up-to date or not, assuming that the list is updated when
sources.redhat.com is.
The worst case then is that if a mirror is updated between 'scans' it will
be regarded as not up to date when it is, but this is failing safe.
This is treating the mirror as a whole, unless you are going to defer mirror
selection until after package selection - which is possible but a whole lot
more work.

keep up the good work,
				Bill (whose sig disappeared from his last
posting.)

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender as soon as possible and delete the message. Please note that we
are able to, and reserve the right to, monitor e-mail communications
passing through our network.

The views expressed in this email are not that of the company unless
specified within the message.

The inclusion of this footnote indicates that the mail message and any
attachments have been checked for the presence of known viruses.

If you have any comments regarding our policy please direct them to
postmaster@cox.co.uk