Re: Info.gz files

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hallo David,

Am Montag, 22. Dezember 2003 um 01:08 schriebst du:

I notice that some of the larger info files, notably gcc & related files plus the Cygwin-ug files, are in /usr/share/info as xxx.info.gz files.

Is info (supposed to be) able to handle these directly? If so, is special action appropriate to get them listed in the dir file -- on my system they are simply not being seen.
Of course, I can unzip them - but why use up the space if info can do it dynamically.

I thought that info is able to handle this directly, therefore I
provide the info pages compressed. If the info files are not seen,
then the script /etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh needs to be
updated.

Gerrit

Ja! I checked the info.el source; it appears to be coded to decompress the files if/when they are referenced. Doesn't seem to be dynamic - once uncompressed, I think the files remain that way. But I could research it more deeply.

However, it appears that install-info does not extract the directory information for the .info.gz files; therefore they are not visible from the root of the info directory. Again, more research is in order. I'll try to take a look at it this week.

M f G,

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.