Re: ssh: Permission denied

Sorry, my info was too sparse.
Here is what I could find:

/var/log/sshd.log: no entries on both sides

Windows event log:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: sshd : PID 1884 : Failed password for
AdminCCRD from 195.65.184.50 port 26978 ssh2.

Strange thing is that the ip address doesn't match with both sides and I
thought ssh uses port number 22 exclusively (at least that's what out
network guys opened for me).
AdminCCRD is a local account on crdw0157, does he try to access the domain
server? How would I specify a local account then?

AdminCCRD is also the account I configured for the sshd demon when setting
up the Windows service. He has local admin rights.

Here is the log from the client side:

ssh crdw0157 -vvv -l AdminCCRD
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug2: userauth_kbdint
debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred:
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
AdminCCRD@crdw0157's password:
debug3: packet_send2: adding 48 (len 62 padlen 18 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
Permission denied, please try again.
AdminCCRD@crdw0157's password:

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Larry Hall      |
|         |           <cygwin-lh@cygwi|
|         |           n.com>          |
|         |                           |
|         |           19.11.2003 19:49|
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to Cygwin List  |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                       |
  |        To:      friedrich_lehn@ch.schindler.com, cygwin@cygwin.com                                                    |
  |        cc:                                                                                                            |
  |        Subject: Re: ssh: Permission denied                                                                            |

At 12:02 PM 11/19/2003, friedrich_lehn@ch.schindler.com you wrote:
>I've installed ssh.
>I managed to get passwordless access via RSA.
>However, I didn't manage to get access via password authentication.
>/etc/passwd seems to be OK, I tried different accounts (local, domain,
>admin) for login and for the sshd service log on account - no success.
>
>TIA for any hints, Friedrich

Since password authentication is generally far easier to configure (i.e.
you generally get it "for free"), I'm going to have to direct you to
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> with the added comment that you should
think about what information might be necessary for someone else to see
what your problem might be.  This process may even present the solution
without the need for the repost.  I'd recommend that you scrutinize ssh
and sshd debug output (from their respective debug modes) and log files
too.

Good luck,

Holliston, MA 01746