This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Perl CPAN module help
- From: pjacklam at online dot no (Peter J. Acklam)
- To: "Gary Nielson" <gary at garynielson dot com>
- Cc: "Peter J. Acklam" <pjacklam at online dot no>, <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:29:18 +0100
- Subject: Re: Perl CPAN module help
- Organization: Private
- References: <OPEKJLGNDDPKCJBJLEGLGEPOHCAA.email@example.com>
"Gary Nielson" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> Thank you so much. If I wanted to start fresh with a new perl
> installation -- replacing the executables and all the modules --
> how do you recommend I do this under cygwin.
- Run setup.exe and uninstall all versions of perl.
- Manually remove the perl library directory
rm -rf /usr/lib/perl5
- Run setup.exe and install perl.
- Start the CPAN shell.
- You'll be prompted for a lot of information. I accept the
default everywhere, with the following exceptions:
- "CPAN build and cache directory? [...]" /.cpan
- "What is your favorite shell?" /usr/bin/bash
- "Every Makefile.PL is run by perl in a separate process. Likewise we
Your choice: " PREFIX=/usr/local
- "Now we need to know where your favorite CPAN sites are located. Push
a few sites onto the array (just in case the first on the array won't
(3) Central America
(5) North America
(7) South America"
Here you must make a choice depending on your location.
Since I'm in Norway, I chose continent 4 (Europe),
contries 20 and 28 (Norway and Sweden) and then all the
sites that were listed.
- Now you should see something like
cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support enabled
- Remember to set the PERL5LIB environment variable with one of
these (depending on whether you're using a C-shell or a
setenv PERL5LIB /usr/local/lib/perl5:/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
- If you install the LWP module (or better yet Bundle::LWP),
don't install the HEAD alias, since you'll end up with a name
conflict with the standard head utility.
*Whew* That should be all, I think.
Peter J. Acklam - email@example.com - http://home.online.no/~pjacklam
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html