RE: Erroneous complaint about being unable to run emacs -- more about sockets, anyone?

Like some other users, I have been frustrated by the dependence of cygwin applications on an Internet connection that is only used so that the PC can talk to itself. As a dial-up user, this is most inconvenient.

I tried turning ZoneAlarm off and disconnecting from the internet after launching such an application (startxwin.sh), but the next program I ran (openDX) produced an Xfree86 error:

"gethostbyaddr error--is it possible this machine doesn't have a reverse DNS/host entry ?".

This sounds like a clue as to how to proceed, but I don't know where to go from here.

Surely there is a way to configure the PC, or a program that emulates an I'net connection, so as to satisfy cygwin's requirements for socket connections?

Regards,

Allen H. Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052 Australia
Tel: +61 2 9385 3916 Fax: +61 2 9663 2108