Re: cygwin deadlocks due to broken select() when writing to pipes

Ok, removing tty from the CYGWIN variable allows me to log off and shutdown
now.

Why does the tty flag cause this kind of lock-up behaviour?  Is there any
reason I need the tty flag at all? If not I'll just leave it off
permanently.

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

"Dylan Cuthbert" <dylan@q-games.com> wrote in message
bo4g20$v72$1@sea.gmane.org">news:bo4g20$v72$1@sea.gmane.org...
> CYGWIN=tty is on in the system env vars, shall I switch it off, is this
bad?
> I switched it on before I had this problem mind you, but maybe something
in
> the post-Sept-19th version mixes badly with CYGWIN=tty?
>
> Yes, I understand the "root of the problem" problem (sic.), ie. the
> programming law that there will always be a lot more causes than there are
> distinct effects. ;-)
>
> Anyway, I have this daily recurring problem, which seems to me to be
> duplicatible, yet no-one has tried to duplicate it yet?  This is why I
> repeat the description of my problem wherever I can; in the daft hope
> someone will set up something similar and see if they get the same thing.
> I'm not doing anything complicated, just 2 or 3 rsync's (of half a gig or
> so) in a cronjob every two hours to a linux server.
>
> Regards
>
> ---------------------------------
> Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
> http://www.q-games.com
>
> "Christopher Faylor" <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote in
> message 20031102194147.GA15320@redhat.com">news:20031102194147.GA15320@redhat.com...
> > On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:29:53AM +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
> > >Actually I think I did mention I was running rsync hourly in a cron
job,
> > >that's all I've been mentioning as far as I know.
> >
> > Which has nothing to do with selecting on pipes unless (and even this is
> > pretty remote) you have turned on CYGWIN=tty for your cron for some
> > reason.
> >
> > The point that I am vainly trying to make is that if one person reports
> > a symptom like "hanging" and another person reports a symptom like
> > "hanging" in a completely different scenario while offering a rationale
> > for the behavior, it does not automatically mean that person B has found
> > the root cause for person A's problem unless person A and person B's
> > situations are the same.  There is nothing in your (repeated)
description