Re: SSH into XP: mapped network drives disappeared!

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:43:10PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Alexis Huxley wrote:

I modified my $HOME in /etc/passwd to be /cygdrive/y, which the XP PC has mapped to my home directory in the storage server. My ~/.profile sufficiently OS-independent, that this works under Cygwin/XP and on any of the various Unixes we run. Great so far.

I didn't think that Cygwin paid attention to the home field in /etc/passwd. Mine does, but that's because I modified /etc/profile to set $HOME based on /etc/passwd's home field.

Cygwin doesn't pay attantion but tools do. sshd, login, ftpd and any other tool which requires the home directory for doing it's job, most server applications and also several client tools as, say, ssh.

I thought that that might be the case. Why then not make Cygwin pay attention to the home field in /etc/passwd? Why not change /etc/profile to use it? (Perhaps I'm treading over an issue that was already discussed).
--
Hard work has a future payoff - Laziness pays off now.