Re: *** CreateFileMapping, Win32 error 5. Terminating.

At 03:03 PM 10/9/2003 +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I updated Cygwin yesterday and now I get this error whenever I try to do
>*anything* with cygwin:
>
>d:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** CreateFileMapping, Win32 error 5.  Terminating.
>
>What's odd is this doesn't happen immediately, it happens after a cron task
>that uses rsync to make backups to an rsync server has run.  I think it
>probably has more to do with the cron daemon than rsync but god knows what
>the problem is.

This problem had now been explained with Dylan's help.

/etc/passwd had been edited to set the gid of a user to 544
although he was not a member of the Administrators group.
This is not permitted, but the only effect when launching Cygwin
from Windows is to create confusion, no errors occur.

However when running under cron, the user was really placed in the 544
group. Windows default policy is for objects created by Administrators
to only be accessible by Administrators and SYSTEM.
Thus the user running from the console had no access to objects created
by himself running under cron.

I will send a patch to move away from the Windows default policy.

Pierre