Re: Setup cant open package database error?

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:40:09PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> If you moved the tarballs, setup won't be able to find them, and will
> re-download them.  The log files don't matter, and will be created anew
> (the ones that matter sit in /var/log, anyway).
i have not moved any of the tarballs that the last few updates have
downloaded, only tarballs from some months ago. when i look in the
directory where the new tarballs are supposed to be going, there
are no recently modified files except for setup.ini. shouldn't
there be the tarballs for the files setup is downloading and trying
to install?

> Make sure /etc/setup and /etc/setup/installed.db are writeable by you.
both are writeable by me. installed.db, however, is an empty file.
there are installed.db.new and installed.db.old files which are
both non-empty.

any ideas?

thanks for your help Igor.

--tim