RE: Suggestion... date format (ISO8601:2000)

> From: Christopher Faylor

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:31:00PM +0200, Hannu E K Nevalainen
> (garbage mail) wrote:
> >I've found the following necessary. Opinions welcome IMO.
> >
> >$ date +"%F %H:%M UTC%z"
> >
> >May I suggest that this format - or something similar gets used
> for date and
> >time on the webpage and elsewhere, as the maintainer might find
> apropriate.
>
> I think the date formats currently used are unambiguous.  You're
> visiting a
> web site that is maintained by and for English speakers.  If you can't
> figure out what "Sep" means then presumably you have vast problems with
> the rest of the site.

 You missed the point here; i see the site as maintaned for _international_
people.

You're in the 'States, several people in Germany, some in France, me and a
couple of others in Sweden, some in Japan(?) - at least they write
Japanese/Chinese characters from time to time...

 Point: As we're spread out all over the world, why not tell the time and
date in a manner that has been standardized - and that of an organization
that has the mandate, for the entire world.

 What I, personally, miss mostly is the timezone information. I'm not
"fluent" at keeping timezone names in my head. So _my_ major concern is
having the "UTC+0200" visible... which means I'll be able to _immediately_
tell when I can expect things to happen, e.g. on the snapshots page.

> Or maybe I should really say, PTC.

I should have expected that. ;-)  - I suspect this isn't that easy, e.g. the
snapshots page is not static, is it?

Now, it's past midnight here, I'll have to lay this off for tonight...

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- UTC+1, GMT+1, CET --
--END OF MESSAGE--