broke gcc

May I run my current problem by you?  I broke gcc in my cygwin installation.
(I had an app running under cygwin when I updated gcc and some other packages.)
 When I run gcc, I get a dialog box that reads, "The procedure entry
point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin.dll."
I rebooted, searched my harddrive for cygwin1.dll (there's one copy from my
original installation of cygwin), and reinstalled some packages, including gcc.
 Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or fix this?

Thanks.

Jim Holder