This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Can't get list of download sites. Make sure your network settingsare connect and try again.
- From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: tabasse <tabasse at netcourrier dot com>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:23:38 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Can't get list of download sites. Make sure your network settingsare connect and try again.
- References: <3F6780E3.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, tabasse wrote:
> Hi all,
> I get this error when running setup.exe :
> Can't get list of download sites. Make sure your network settings are
> connect and try again.
> I use a firewall : norton internet security...
> Can someone help me ?
> Thanx a lot
Yes, someone most assuredly can help you.
Sorry, couldn't resist -- this one's straight out of ESR's "How to Ask
Smart Questions" essay (see a link on <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>) ;-)
Seriously, though, there could be two reasons for this symptom:
1) you are behind a firewall and need to access the internet through a
proxy, in which case select "Use IE5 Settings" in setup (I assume you have
no problems browsing the web).
2) your firewall software blocks setup's attempts to connect to the sites.
Normally you can modify the firewall rules to allow those connections
through. Make sure you allow them for this exact setup application,
rather than any application named "setup" -- that would defeat the purpose
of the firewall software (to an extent).
Hope this helps,
|\ _,,,---,,_ email@example.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ firstname.lastname@example.org
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his route
to the bathroom is a major career booster." -- Patrick Naughton
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html