Re: sshd "PrintLastLog yes"

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:01:59AM -0500, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> >>
> >> It would be great to see this as an addition to the Cygwin docs and/or
> >> automated by the post-install script too.  Just a thought.
> >
> >Personally I think this is a candidate for a specific package README,
> >though maybe some language could be added to "Security" section of the
> >User's Guide.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the argument against automatically setting the
> permissions on /var/log/lastlog to something which would allow a
> properly privileged account to access the file.  It seems like this
> is a good post-install candidate to me.
>
> cgf

The argument is that you don't always know what the properly privileged
account *is*.  You can't assume that it's "system" (not on Win2003, at
least).  I don't disagree that on new installs this should be set to
something sensible, but we should leave power users the ability to
manipulate their filesystem in the way they want to without having to
worry about postinstall scripts changing that setup.  That's why I
suggested adding this into "ssh-host-config" (which will presumably be run
by new users to set up sshd) instead.  Another advantage of
"ssh-host-config" is that it's interactive (whereas postinstall scripts
aren't, or shouldn't be).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/