This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Less fails with link error
- From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak <blytkerchan at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- To: David Balazic <david dot balazic at hermes dot si>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:15:18 +0200
- Subject: Re: Less fails with link error
- References: <600B91D5E4B8D211A58C00902724252C01BC02B8@piramida.hermes.si>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 05:45:23PM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> I just selected the latest version of less ( by clicking on its name to
> cycle versions ).
> There was no warning that it is incompatible with the cygwin version.
Cycling through the versions is a dangerous thing these days - you should only
do it if you know what you're doing. The version Setup proposes is the one you
should normally use, because it's the one the maintainer wants you to use. The
maintainer is usually right about what you should use..
> > You used Setup to install, didn't you?
> > Use cygcheck to get the version of less, then :)
> I llearned something new.
> rpm would catch the incompatibility though :-)
versioned dependencies in Setup are a work-in-progress *and* require the
maintainers to put them in the setup.hint files. Neither is magic.
IIRC, rpm doesn't use any wizzardry either: versioned dependencies are the
As for the state of progress on versioned dependencies in Setup (before you
ask) IIRC it needs testing more than anything else - but one of the Setup
people will surely correct me if I'm wrong..
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html