This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Mail Archives are Your Friend...
- From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:57:51 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Mail Archives are Your Friend...
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Brian Dessent wrote:
> "Matthew O. Persico" wrote:
> > A plug for http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/ (hopefully read by newbies)
> And if you can't get htdig (or whatever that form uses) to grok your
> search, there's also google. I've found that you can search just
> mailing-list archives with google by prepending "site:cygwin.com
> inurl:ml" to your query.
> You can also narrow it down to a specific mailing list by adding an
> additional "inurl:" parameter such as "site:cygwin.com inurl:ml
Just a couple of comments on the Google searches:
1) Unfortunately, Google caches some messages from cygwin.com, and others
from sources.redhat.com, so you have to search in both to make sure you
get all possible matches.
2) The "inurl:" modifier is not aware of forward slashes, and accepts
partial matches, so a query with "inurl:ml inurl:cygwin" will search
for messages on *all* of the Cygwin lists (i.e., cygwin@, cygwin-apps@,
etc). AFAIK, there is no way to restrict the matches to just the
cygwin@ list. The "inurl:cygwin-apps" does work, however.
|\ _,,,---,,_ email@example.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ firstname.lastname@example.org
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his route
to the bathroom is a major career booster." -- Patrick Naughton
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html