Re: Developing with cygwin: library troubles

Mischa wrote:

Hi

I want to develop a windows program that reads the GUID from a MSI package
with C. It was no problem to create an exe-file with gcc that runs on
non-cygwin platforms (with -mno-cygwin). My problem is the following:
I need several functions from the Msi.lib (included in Windows Installer
SDK). I've created a libMsi.a with dlltool and moved it to /lib/w32api/ and
linked my .o with -lmsi. Compiling and linking worked fine, but if i try to
run the exe, it want to load a Msi.lib as a Dynamic  Link Library.
I've tried to create a DLL from the Msi.lib but then an error appears that
the Function MsiOpenPackageA@8 could not be found.

I don't see the problem, perhaps it is the convert process from the Msi.lib
to the libmsi.a? Or is it impossible to use some function from a .lib-file?

Please help me, i'm desperate! :-)

Indeed.  Forgive me but I have no experience with the MSI toolkit.  Are
you suggesting that msi.lib that's provided with the toolkit is a static
library rather than an import library?  If so, you don't want to use
dlltool at all.  You should be able to just link against msi.lib if it's
a static library (actually you should be able to do this regardless).  If
msi.lib is an import library, then you must have given dlltool some wrong
information if it's trying to load it as the DLL.  There must be msi.dll
(or whatever DLL the import library has stubs for) somewhere.  That's
what you need to tell dlltool to use.  Still, that's likely to be allot
of work for nothing.  You should try just linking against msi.lib (or
even the DLL directly).

Holliston, MA 01746