PostgeSQL installation

Hello,

on my new XP Professional system I've major problems initializing the
postgresql database with initdb 1.14.

After initdb PostgreSQL as administrator and manually start the postmaster,
a normal user is not able to connect with the database the following message
is issued:

psql: could not connect to server: Bad file descriptor

After deleting the content of the directory and running initdb as normal
user the following output is given:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "xyz".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale DE.
This locale setting will prevent the use of indexes for pattern matching
operations.  If that is a concern, rerun initdb with the collation order
set to "C".  For more information see the Administrator's Guide.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /var/pgsql/data/... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//base... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//global... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /var/pgsql/data//base/1... ok
creating configuration files... ok
initializing pg_shadow... LOG:  FindExec: invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"
FATAL:  /usr/bin/postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...

initdb failed.

In the past on my W2k system I've never such problems :-((
Any help will be apreciated.

Regards
	Ralf