RE: newbie shell-users howto, guide, cheatsheet, or reference?

> GRVS> Let's get this straight.  Your intent was clear.  You were yet
> GRVS> again trying to be a jerk when it was completely and utterly
> GRVS> unwarranted, and completely contrary to convincing anybody of
> GRVS> doing anything for the Cygwin project.
>
> I've been using cygwin since the '80s

The *80's*?

> and reading this list daily for
> many years.  I must say that I don't believe Chris is wrong.  Many
> people mistakenly believe that any effort put in toward an open source
> project is good.  At some statistical level that may be true, but at a
> practical engineering level it is false.  By placing documentation and
> tools outside the cygwin distribution (and distribution mechanism) you
> create confusion, fragment management, increase likelihood of
> incorrect or out of date data, and generally waste energy.  By failing
> to acknowledge this situation you further degrade your position.

I have stated no position on Karsten's documentation.  I've not looked at it.

> Chris is often direct in his communication.  Some people read into
> this that he is being insulting, demanding, or domineering.

No, Chris is often insulting, demeaning, and domineering in his communication.
Sometimes it's warranted, often it isn't.

>  I believe
> this is created by the reader from their own imagination.  I
> appreciate Chris' style.

I appreciate Chris's work on Cygwin.  I also appreciate everyone else's work on
Cygwin.  What I don't appreciate is snotty attitudes from "those on high"
towards those who take it upon themselves to share the load.  Why?  Because it
discourages the contribution of more work.  More work, at some statistical
level, is better than less work.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.