Re: gdb attach/detach kills the target process

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> That's the way Windows debugging works -- once you attach to a process,
> detaching from it kills the process.  No way around it.

I don't think this is true any more. XP enables debuggers (or at least the
VS debugger) to detach from executing programs and allow them to continue,
and there's a service called dbgproxy that lets the VS debugger detach
cleanly on pre-XP platforms:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vctskDetachingProcesses.asp

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vxtskinstallingvisualstudiodebuggerproxyservice.asp

This is for native C++ processes and not .NET framework (CLR) ones --
which can detach on any platform.

I know nothing about debugger internals, but presumably this means gdb
could in theory do the same, on XP at least?

Andrew.