Re: non network install

Thank you very much for all your replies. Having the distribution in
folder below the top one does indeed solve the problem.

I wrote a bunch of tiny bash scripts to make the check dependencies and
make the iso image for two CD's. I shall put up the scripts and detailed
instructions on my web page this weekend. I will be gladly help in
making the patch to the users manual too. I am familiar with TeX, LaTeX
and HTML but not Texinfo. I shall try learning it , but that will take
me time. If there is a posibility for converting LateX/Tex with Texinfo
that would be great. However I would like to develop the scripts into
a simple but effective program for making the images first.
Here are some of my concerns with writing a program for making CD
images, please do make suggetions as appropriate . Right now the way I
have it set is that the entire distribution fits onto 2 CD's , except
1997 and 1998 mail-archives. I have tried to make these CD's so that
all packages on CD 1 do not depend on any package on CD 2 . However
packages in CD 2 may depend on CD 1. I did this as I was not sure how
setup.exe would behave if it found unmet dependencies. I guess I could
have deleted the older versions and unnecessary things like
mail-archives so that it all fit on one CD. However personally I was
disinclined to do this as I don't see why we must have such a
restriction that the CD ROM distribution has to be one CD. Moreover
Cywin is bound to grow. Also having older version may be a good idea
since if there is a bug in a later version that is unacceptable to the
user he may choose an older one.

The way I am doing the dependency checking right now is not very
satisfactory and would appreciate suggestions . I greped through
the setup.hints files in each package directory , picked out the
"requires" lines , appropriately edited it using sed , makeing a table
which I saved in a file. I also have another file that is a table with
two columns - one the package name (directory) and the other the CD to
which it belong. A script then uses these two files to check
dependencies of CD 1 are fullfilled within it .

I am acutely aware that this is not the way to go so would like to build
a portable and robust script that would able to do all of the above
using just the ftp archive . I would like to be insensitive to changes
in the ftp archive and be portable to atleast windows and linux .
I am familiar with C, C++, Java , BASH , Fortran and would be willing
tor try another language if appropriate.  What do you think ?

Also both dpkg, and rpm have very powerfull dependency checking engines
so this seems like reinventing the wheel. Alternatively is it better to
hack the setup.exe code to do all this. I haven't read the code so am
not very sure if it is portable .

sincerely
B Thomas