beginner question: using 'set VAR=...'

Using Cygwin, I'm trying to run some .bat scripts that contain 'set VAR=....' statements. However, after the script is run, those variables defined by the 'set' statement are not recognized (as environment variables). These are variables that are to exist temporarily (i.e. during the session or time that the Cygwin window is open), so I do not want to put them in CYGHOME/cygwin.bat.

Any advice?

Thank you.