Re: libtool-devel problem with building 'dummy' exe

Sigh.. one more time, using cygwin@ instead of gmane...

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> /expat/expat-1.95.6/.obj/libtool: cannot create .libs/lt-xmlwf/xmlwf.c: directory nonexistent

I've never seen this before: libtool trying to create a .c file in a subdirectory of the .libs dir. Now, this .c file is autogenerated; it's the source code that is used to build the "binary wrapper" -- which simply calls the shell-script wrapper that libtool has used for ages to set the environment properly before running an uninstalled executable.

The binary wrapper is necessary to fool make into not rebuilding the "real" executable over and over and over. Eventually, all of the functionality of the shell-script wrapper can be folded into the binary wrapper instead, and the shell-script wrapper can be eliminated -- but not yet.

So, in *every* case I have seen, the source code for the wrapper is dumped into
.libs/[lt-]<executable-name>.c and NOT
.libs/<some subdir>/[lt-]<executable-name>.c

I suspect something wacky in the Makefile.am for expat...

> I guess libtool-devel tries to make the 'dummy' executable here,

not exactly; the dummy executable goes into the parent of .libs; that's the whole point (how else could 'make' be fooled into not rebuilding?). It appears that libtool is trying to place the *source code* for the dummy executable there.

> but fails because the directory or s.th. else is missing.  I used
> it already without problems when building in the sourcetree, but
> when using your famous packaging script it fails.

When building within the source tree, where did xmlwf.c get created? in .libs, or in .libs/lt-xmlwf/ ?

> Do I need to take care of the needed directories from the script or
> should libtool do this in every case?

Hard to say until we know WHY libtool is using subdirectories of .lib. As I said, I have never seen that behavior before; it isn't a design behavior.

--Chuck