FAQ help needed (Was: Bug? Mixed CR/LF and LF line endings from different programs)

Here's a blast from the past.  OK, so now everyone knows that I'm 7
months behind in the cygwin mailing list.

On Thursday 29 Aug 02, Christopher Faylor writes:
> >which seems to contradict the Cygwin FAQ:
> >
> >    It is rather easy for the porter to fix the source code by supplying
> >    the appropriate file processing mode switches to the open/fopen
> >    functions. Treat all text files as text and treat all binary files
> >    as binary.
>
> That section of the FAQ is out-of-date.

Indeed, it is.  (We're talking about the section "How is the DOS/Unix
CR/LF thing handled?" in the API chapter of the FAQ.)

Can anyone contribute a re-write of this section?

The message I'm citing is at
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-08/msg01597.html>, in case you want
to study the thread.

Thanks,