Problems with net use from ssh logged on user vs cygwin user onconsole

Hi,

In trying to figure out my problems with Net Use via ssh, I noticed the
following.

If I log on to my Win2K system with ssh, I can do net use blah blah and I
get a drive that I can use and so forth.

However, if I look at what drives are mapped from a cygwin window on the
console, these drives show up as unavailable, and when I try to use them,
as in:

  dir j:

I get the following error message:

dir: j\:: no such file or directory

which suggests that the ssh logged on process is actually adding a literal
: in the device name or something.

Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know a work around? Using some single
quotes around strings did not help.

Regards
-----