Re: Problems with net use statement via sshd on cygwin

* Igor Pechtchanski (03-04-08 17:24 +0100)
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> * Richard Sharpe (03-04-08 03:14 +0100)
>>> However, if I do:
>>>
>>>  ssh administrator at calpc12 net use f: \\\\\\\\10.0.1.5\\\\test \
>>>       /user:tigerteam\\\\rsharpe <somepasswd>
>>>
>>> [...] it appears to succeed, but the share is listed as unavailable in
>>> Windows, and I cannot access it via 'dir f:' for example.
>>>
>>> The drive letter f: did not have any thing mapped to it before the ssh
>>> command above.
>>
>> Is "SMBNTSEC" set? Try logging in and then executing manually "net
>> use". Have a look at the "Event Viewer" and "/var/log/sshd.log".
>
> Surely you mean "smbntsec" (lowercase)...

Yes.

>> I have been able to even access a NetWare volume through "net use".
>> The only "annoyance" I encountered was, that drive mappings made under
>> a different account (under the windows GUI) were shown, too. I think
>> other people mentioned this.
>
> Hmm, I'm intrigued now.  Perhaps we can get to the bottom of this.
>
> I have a Samba share that I connect to (from Win2k SP3, Cygwin-1.3.22).

There are lots of problems with Windows 2000 showing the network drive
disconnected (crossed out in red) in the GUI. My experience was with
NT 4.

> If I run "net use" from a local bash shell, I get
> [...]
> When I do it from an ssh session, however, I get the following:
> $ net use
> New connections will be remembered.
> Status       Local     Remote                    Network
> Unavailable  E:        \\samba.watson.ibm.com\igor

> Note that the UNC share itself is *not* shown at all, and the drive is
> shown as unavailable.  Attempting to access "//samba.watson.ibm.com/igor"
> results in a "permission denied", as does a "net use..." command with the
> correct credentials.

I alway changed to the NetWare volume or NT share with
"cd /cygdrive/e/...".

"net use" doesn't work with NetWare volumes; the mapping was from
within the GUI login.)

Thorsten
--
 children under the age of 18