how do I configure ssmtp on pacbell.net?

I'm a pacbell dsl user. They gave me an IP address, but not a domain name.
I'd like to run ssmtp (or something equivalent) locally so that I can send mail from programs
like faq-o-matic or shell scripts.
I ran ssmtp-config, but it wants to know the fully-qualified hostname. Is there a way to fake it out so that I have a locally-recognized name for my machine?
If I try to run ssmtp, I get the message:
/usr/sbin/ssmtp: didn't get initial OK message from smtp server.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Steve Kelem