Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation

> Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>
> >> While interesting there are two flaws here. Firstly, this down't work
> >> on all versions of Windows. Secondly, if I could get my users to set
> >> their "ApplicationPaths" I could as easily get them to set their
> >> PATHs. The real world situation is that this is not the case and
> >> neither PATH nore ApplicationPaths are set.
> >
> > So how about using something like regtool, there are quite a few
> > native (non-Cygwin dependant) regtool alikes around. From there all
> > you need to do is check HKLM or HKCU. Or write your own custom
> > implementation.
>
> What exactly am I checking for? That ApplicationPaths is set properly or
> that PATH has a Cygwin bin dir? And what if they don't. In that case I'm
> back to the same situation in trying to determine where Cygwin was
> installed.
>
> Or am I checking to see where Cygwin is installed by looking, as the
> original poster had queried, where Cygwin's bin is mounted? How does
> that fit with Christopher's assertion that that might go away? Again, I
> would think it would be far more meaningful to dedicate at least one
> registry spot to denote where Cygwin was installed and then build from
> there. Seems to be a very logical way to do it from my point of view but
> as always, this is just my opinion.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. :-) The latter is what I meant, and if Cygwin
stops storing it's mount table in the registry setup.exe would have to know
how to access/change it so maybe (I think you suggested it) a command line
option would be best. This could show either a full or partial view of the
mount table.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn at exposure dot org dot uk