Re: Building a win32 python extension from cygwin?

Greg,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:53:49PM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>  >>  > My problem was that libpython2.2.dll could not be found in the
>  >>  > specified path.
>
>  >>  Please run cygcheck on your .exe (installation package) and post
>  >>  the output.  For example:
>
>  >>  $ cygcheck foo.exe
>
> ===
> $ cygcheck rdiff-backup.exe
> Found: .\rdiff-backup.exe
> .\rdiff-backup.exe
>   C:\cygwin\bin\libpython2.2.dll
>     C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>         C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
> ===

The output from cygcheck explains your "libpython2.2.dll could not be
found" problem.

> If those are the only dependencies, maybe it would not be too bad to
> just build up a deployment CD with the above on it.

Actually, you could get rid of the cygz.dll dependency by linking with
zlib statically.  Ditto for libpython2.2.dll once I support Cygwin
Python with a static core (which is dependent on Cygwin ld supporting
exports from a .exe).  However, the cygwin1.dll dependency cannot be
eliminated unless you use Mingw.

>  >>  If _librsync is dependent on libpython2.2.dll, then the above
>  >>  error make sense.
>
> Please, don't worry about this.

OK.  I was just trying to understand the issues involved.

> By following the recipe you pointed at, I think I can eliminate this
> issue.

Good.

> But it looks like it is.  (Especially not good since I am trying to
> use Win32 python, not cygwin python.)

Yup.  Once again, the cygcheck output confirmed it:

> $ cygcheck _librsync.dll
> Found: .\_librsync.dll
> .\_librsync.dll
>   C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll