1.1.23: configure doesn't find header files when it looks for them; builds fail

Dear cygwin community:

	Thank you for providing this software.  It's been a huge help to me
already.

	In the last couple of days I've tried to download and build a couple of
projects, and ran into problems with configure:
	-When compiling ddd, configure checks whether streampos is defined, and if
it is not defined then the ddd header files #define streampos.  However,
configure incorrectly did not find streampos in the legacy gcc libraries,
and therefore defined it, resulting in a compile error stating basically
that streampos had been defined twice.  So I had to comment out the
definition myself.
	-When compiling mono, there are checks for the presence of gc.h.  These
fail (even though gc.h has already been installed as part of the script, and
gc.h is in fact present), and therefore the compile fails.  It looks to me
like this problem has been seen by other mono users, as the build/install
readme for mono says that install failures have been seen at this stage and
discusses how to do the install manually.

	Is this a known bug, or can anybody suggest a fix?

More data:
	From mono's config.log file,  configure ran gcc:
configure:6530:
gcc -mno-cygwin -E  -I/home/install/include -DGC_WIN32_THREADS -DWIN32_THREA
DS conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out

for ddd, here's the script:
AC_MSG_CHECKING(for streampos)
changequote([,])dnl
AC_CACHE_VAL(ice_cv_have_streampos,
[
AC_LANG_SAVE
AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS
AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include <iostream.h>],
[streampos scan_start;],
ice_cv_have_streampos=yes,
ice_cv_have_streampos=no)
AC_LANG_RESTORE
])
AC_MSG_RESULT($ice_cv_have_streampos)
if test "$ice_cv_have_streampos" = yes; then
AC_DEFINE(HAVE_STREAMPOS)
fi
])dnl

	Unfortunately it appears that conftest.c is generated and deleted
dynamically, so I guess one would need to look in configure's source code to
see how to create a conftest.c and then test it out.

Attached fiind the result of cygcheck:

	Thanks,
		Vincent Sacksteder