mc-4.6.0-1 slow startup in rxvt was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated:mc-4.6.0-1

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> * Pavel Tsekov (03-03-09 15:34 +0100)
> > On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> >> Unfortunately there are now some new ones:
> >>
> >> 1. It takes more than 5 seconds to start mc in a rxvt window - in a
> >> "normal" console window mc starts immediately. Removing my rxvt
> >> customizations in .Xdefaults has no effect.

I tracked this one. The new MC has code to load dynamically libX11 if the
DISPLAY variable is set. I've assumed that the native rxvt won't
deal with DISPLAY, but it appears that I was wrong. rxvt sets the
DISPLAY to :0, then MC tries to load libX11 and to call XOpenDisplay. Of
course there is no X server running at all in this case and this fails
but not before attempting to connect 5 times with a 1 second delay between
each connect.

The workaround is easy you just have to unset the DISPLAY variable and
everything will be fine.

A much better solution will be to detect that MC is running in native
rxvt and load libW11 and not libX11. I've verified that using libW11
solves the problem with the delay. I don't know how to detect the presence
of native rxvt though. Maybe the rxvt maintainer can help here. Anyway
I'll try to explore the rxvt source but any help will be much appreciated.

Btw, I'll try to look into the zsh ASAP.