[build failure] xemacs-21.5-b11 on Win2000+Cygwin

I first sent this to the Xemacs lists, where I didn't get any response.
The error is so totally disastrous that a release should not have happened if this bites every Cygwin installation.

Which makes me suspect my Cygwin is broken.

How can I tell? Specifically, how do I tell what the configure proc was trying to do when it got an error compiling "junk.c"

Sitting around waiting out the blizzard, I figured it would be a good time to see about compiling Xemacs-21.5-b11.

Starting with what should have been a simple build . . .

+ make clean
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'. Stop.
+ ../configure i686-pc-cygwin --compiler=gcc --without-x --extra-verbose --with-site-lisp=yes --package-path=/usr/local/lib/xemacs/ --with-pop --debug --error-checking=all
Defining PACKAGE_PATH_USER_DEFINED
checking whether ln -s works... yes
Defining EMACS_MAJOR_VERSION = 21
Defining EMACS_MINOR_VERSION = 5
Defining EMACS_BETA_VERSION = 11
Defining XEMACS_CODENAME = "cabbage"

One small surprise is the following early error message in sysout (rather than configure.log) . . .
checking for GNU libc... no
Extracting information from the machine- and system-dependent headers...
conftest.c:44: parse error before `=' token
Defining SYSTEM_TYPE = "cygwin_nt-5.0"
libs_machine = ''

The configure ends horribly with:

Appending "Makefile.in" to $ac_output_files
Appending "lib-src/Makefile.in" to $ac_output_files
Appending "src/Makefile.in:src/Makefile.in.in:src/depend" to $ac_output_files
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile.in
creating lib-src/Makefile.in
creating src/Makefile.in
creating src/paths.h
creating lib-src/config.values
creating src/config.h
creating lwlib/config.h
lwlib/config.h is unchanged
creating ./Makefile
junk.c:19: parse error before string constant <================================
creating ./GNUmakefile
junk.c:16: parse error before string constant
creating lib-src/Makefile
junk.c:7: parse error before string constant
creating lib-src/GNUmakefile
junk.c:7: parse error before string constant
creating src/Makefile
junk.c:7: parse error before string constant
creating src/GNUmakefile
junk.c:7: parse error before string constant

And all of ./Makefile & ./GNUmakefile are empty. (0 bytes)

<system-info> HOST=i686 MSWin2000Pro Cygwin . . . Cygwin DLL version info: DLL version: 1.3.20 DLL epoch: 19 DLL bad signal mask: 19005 DLL old termios: 5 DLL malloc env: 28 API major: 0 API minor: 73 Shared data: 3 DLL identifier: cygwin1 Mount registry: 2 Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions Cygwin registry name: Cygwin Program options name: Program Options Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2 Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix Cygdrive default prefix: Build date: Sat Feb 8 12:10:49 EST 2003 Shared id: cygwin1S3

bash-2.05b $ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020927 (prerelease)

bash-2.05b $ </system-info>

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.