Re: why is bash trying to access my DNS?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:

> Today I tried to install sshd on my cygwin system, (which also resulted
> in downloading lots of updates, since I'd been lax in updating for a
> while).
>
> I went through the setup procedures for openssh, and got it working.
> During all of this, I had disabled my firewall (ZoneAlarm), since I've
> had problems with it and sshd in the past.
>
> When I reenabled Zonealarm, and tried to open cygwin (run rxvt), all of
> a sudden ZoneAlarm pops up a message 'rxvt want to access the internet
> (and then tells me it is trying to access my DNS server)
>
> I deny that request, and bash asks for the same thing.  and vim.
>
> Well, something seems screwy, and it has definitely never done this
> before.
>
> So I uninstalled ssh, but that didn't help.  So I completely uninstalled
> cygwin, wiped my registry of all cygwin related things, rebooted, and
> reinstalled cygwin.  and bash STILL wanted to access the DNS server (and
> rxvt and everything else)
>
> After searching the web, I found other people had had this problem, and
> it was related to cygdaemo, but this does not appear to be the case for
> me (no cygdaemo on my box anywhere, cygserver isn't running, and this is
> a WinXP box)
>
> I figured I'd try to look at bash's strace output, and get the followng
> (hopefully, I pasted in enough).  I wasn't able to glean anything from
> it.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I did to my system?  this is very frustrating.
> [snip]

Geoffrey,

Well, first off, your strace output seems hosed.  There might have been a
problem while pasting it.  Next time, try the "-o" option of strace...
You can then edit the resulting file to get the relevant snippet.  Also,
pasting strace output in a message reformats it.  Try attaching it
(compressed if it's too large).

For how long a while haven't you updated?  Do you have old-style cygdrive
paths (e.g. "//c") in your path?  Those now refer to Windows UNC paths,
which would be one explanation for this behavior.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune