gcc problem with filename case insensitivity

Greetings,

I have a problem which I realise comes from Windows' being
case-insensitive with filenames.  Even so, maybe someone here knows
how to solve it.

Suppose I have this source file:

	#include <string.h>
	#include "String.h"

	int main() {
	  // some stuff
	}

and I compile with "gcc -Imy/include/dir sourcefile.c" where
String.h lives in my/include/dir.

GCC uses my/include/dir/String.h to satisfy the <string.h> directive.

Is there any way to get GCC to check case when locating include files?

Interestingly, this used to work in B18!  (Hahaha!)
Seriously, though, the B18 release announcement has this remark:

	   The conflict between String.h and string.h (and other such pairs of
	header files) where you include one and get the other has been fixed.

(describing gcc in the release).

A Google search on "filename case gcc site:cygwin.com" turned up only
10 hits, and the B18 release announcement was one of them. :-)

Is there any possibility to get case-sensitive behavior from GCC in
this respect?

Thanks,
David