This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?
- From: jmadams at monkeybean dot dyndns dot org (John M. Adams)
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:45:37 +0000
- Subject: Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?
- References: <20030214182615.GA20996@redhat.com>
Christopher Faylor <email@example.com> writes:
> I tried an experiment recently where I turned on ftp access to the
> cygwin download directory on sources.redhat.com. The result seemed
> to be that people started downloading cygwin's package .tar.bz2 files
> directly and (somehow) used tar to extract files rather than running
> Can anyone offer any explanation about this?
Well, I've never tried to install via anything but the setup.exe.
However, it is not obvious to me how to just get a single package that
way. The last few times I tried to do that, I ended up getting a
massive amount of stuff. Maybe some of your ftp users are similarly
How do you get just 1 package via setup.exe?
John M. Adams
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html