This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Problems compiling trivial C program.
- From: Brian Keener <bkeener at thesoftwaresource dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:47:21 EST
- Subject: Re: Problems compiling trivial C program.
- References: <LPEHIHGCJOAIPFLADJAHOEMEDEAA.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: bkeener at thesoftwaresource dot com
> >16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> >The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> >CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 0e 02 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> >Close | Ignore
> >AFAICT the command that is failing is:
> >P:\ccj00\cygwin\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\bin\as.exe --traditional-format -o
> >test.o /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/ccj00/LOCALS~1/Temp/cc50BUPU.s
> >See the following strace portion:
> >39542 4773296 [main] gcc 1428 spawn_guts: 1428 = spawn_guts
I believe this is related/similar to two messages I posted on January 30 in
cygwin-apps. As Christopher Faylor and Max Bowsher pointed out to me then and
as has been pointed out here as well - this is a result of corrupt symlinks.
On January 30 I noticed that I had several symlinks I had created or that
should normally exist on my Win2k system (IE /etc/hosts, /etc/services and so
on) that were no longer symlinks - they showed as plain files instead of
symlinks even though the data contained in them was still a symlink. See my
message in cygwin-apps:
What is killing my links
I do not know what killed these links (all I have really done with my cygwin in
a while is update packages, but who knows what windows might have done. I also
discovered I was having problems compiling setup (same errors about the NTVDM
as above. Based on the responses from Chris and Max I started reinstalling
ash, gcc, gcc-mingw, binutils and so on and slowly started to improve the
situation and get my symlinks back. See my message in cygwin-apps:
Serious Error Compiling Setup
Then for whatever reason, I cannot remember if Max or Chris suggested it or I
found something on the list archive about it - but I found that the read only
checkbox on my links on my w2k system was no longer checked. Updating the
properties on the symlinks via windows properties and checking the box for
read-only (or using the attrib command) turned them back into symlinks as they
should be. I then searched for all the symlinks that I thought should be there
and rechecked the Read-only flag and things were back to normal. Now I think I
saw this in the archive because there it was referred to as the system flag and
I could only find a readonly but it worked.
I now know how to fix the symlink problem but in my case the big question is
what turned off the read-only flag in windows or in cygwin in the first place.
I have no idea.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html