This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

1.3.19: fetchmail's "authentication failed" message corrupted

This afternoon, the following arrived in my mail spool (I've inserted it
directly from the spool):

>From Iain Tuddenham  Sat Feb  8 13:46:51 2003
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:46:51 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: fetchmail authentication failed on

Fetchmail could not get mail from

The attempt to get authorization failed.
Since we have already succeeded in getting authorization for this
connection, this is probably another failure mode (such as busy server)
that fetchmail cannot distinguish because the server didn't send a useful
error message.

However, if you HAVE changed your account details since starting the
fetchmail daemon, you need to stop the daemon, change your configuration
of fetchmail, and then restart the daemon.

The fetchmail daemon will continue running and attempt töÙ"and shortly after, fetchmail sent
me another message (uncorrupted) to say that normal service was resumed -
my issue is the binary gubbins.

My .fetchmailrc includes
  mda "procmail -d '%T'; notify"
(where notify is a little script to ring a bell).

I'm using:
WinXP Pro 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
Output from "cygcheck -s -v -r" attached as per

I've looked in the fetchmail.exe binary, and the message is uncorrupted
there.  And the binary gubbins I received in the message doesn't appear in
fetchmail.exe.  I notice that the binary gubbins includes the string
"MakeSelfRelative", so I did:

LILAC:~$ find / -exec grep --with-filename MakeSelfRelative {} \;
Binary file /bin/cygwin1.dll matches
grep: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key: Permission denied
grep: /etc/ssh_host_key: Permission denied
grep: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key: Permission denied
grep: /tmp/.ffffd389.1689c9: Permission denied
Binary file /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll matches
D:\cygwin\bin\find.exe: *** WFSO timed out for after longjmp.
/var/spool/mail/Iain Tuddenham:The fetchmail daemon will continue running and attempt t ý"ҙAR
                                                 éÛ"dPé"[öw8è"Žé"”é"¥0Ýw8è"Žé"”é"/…a8è"Žé"”é"øÚ"EˆˆŸ÷wdd$ŸÑžP7Ú×ÖC‚2ì$ˆÑžP7Ú×ÖC‚2ˆ.\nuljõwPF$xGìýØÙ"  $ˆÙ"ØÜ"õw(6$Nõw$jõwžÜ"÷wÈÕöwÿÿÿÿjõwŸˆçw$xG$tˆçwàýàýÐPF$xG$ Ü"@  $CÜÜ"ٝa°å$Ü"@Ý"÷wÿÿÿÿxÝ"$^aÝ"©Aa06$ÄÝ"õw˜ $Nõwx$`žaxÝ"PÝ"äDaxÝ"|^a

(where I've cut out "No such file or directory" lines for soft links).

This is the only "authentication failed" message I've had since I started
using Cygwin to receive my mail, and I can't think of a way of forcing
another (the IMAP server is public) to see whther the corruption recurs.

It may be relevant that using the same software versions but using non-SSL
POP instead of IMAP, I've had emails corrupted because ~1000 characters
were lost by the time they reached my spool.  (I switched to IMAP too
recently to know whether the loss will happen with it.)

Another possible clue is that an attempt to save a message in Pine from a
non-spool mail folder to the same folder (in order to move it to the end
of the folder) always results in
  [Unexpected changes to folder (try restarting): ]
- I've never had this problem with Pine on Sun 4, Solaris 2 or Red Hat
Linux.  A clue not because Pine has to do with email, but because it
exhibits a Cygwin-only file-writing/locking problem.

A third clue may be that I use the otherwise excellent AllChars macro
utility (, which has catalysed bugs
in other Windows software in the past (e.g.

I'd be grateful for any light anyone can shed!

Iain Tuddenham.

Attachment: cygcheck.out
Description: Text document

Unsubscribe info:
Bug reporting:

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]