Re: Why won't my files link?

> So I am new to Cygwin, but I am enjoying it so far.

Kewl! :::::::-)

> I am having a
> problem, though, please respond if you can... I have three C files (all
> ending in .c), and I can compile them with GCC by using the -c switch.
> Then, I want to link all three of the object files that I have created
> (ending in .o) and make an executable which uses all three.  My file
> called main.c has two include lines, which says to include
> "io_functions.h" and "fun.h".  Then I am using this line to link
> everything and make the executable...

Right. To all of the files you are tryin to compile (the *.c files and the
*.h files) reside in the same directory? If so you should be using a command
similar to

$ gcc -I.-c fun.c
[...]

So that the current directory is added to the search path for included files
(-I.) . That is ofcourse if they reside in the same directory, if not then
you just s/./path/ (replace . with the path to where the files are). And
that the file (fun.c) is just compiled (-c) .

> gcc -o main fun.o io_functions.o main.o
>
> I have tried this exact thing with the exact same files on a Linux system
> and it works fine, but for some reason under Cygwin it is not working.  I
> am thinking that the problem lies in that my files are not being accessed
> correctly.  For instance, when I want to run executables I have made in my
> cygwin/home/Owner directory, I have to use "./executablename" because for
> some reason commands do not go directly to the home directory (this is in
> the Cygwin FAQ).

Mmmm... If you mean you want to be able to call `compiled-program' instead
of `./compiled-program' at the prompt then there's two things you can do.
The first is adding a . to the PATH (that symbolises the current working
directory) environment variable

export PATH="$PATH:."

or you can add the absolute directory path to your PATH env. var., if your
going to keep all of your executables in one place, you can do

export PATH="$PATH:/home/Owner/somewhere_in_here"

> I am wondering if I need to do something to make all of
> the files in  my home directory viewable or available when doing the
> compile command above.  Any ideas?  Thanks so much.

You might try compiling each file (into an executable) before, in-case there
are errors, so you'll have peace of mind that they'll actually compile.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk