RE: cygpath question

Rob,

All is not lost. If you simply drag an icon for a file system entity and drop it in a Cygwin window, it will get quotes _as necessary_! Nice, actually. The syntax will still be Windows, including backslashes, but actually Cygwin will handle this correctly.

And in case you're not aware of it, you can ALT-tab while a drag-and-drop is in progress without disrupting the drag.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz

At 01:20 2003-01-24, Robert Mark Bram wrote:
Howdy Randall,

> >    $ cdd C:\Rob\mcd3060\Tri32002\a2
> >    bash: cd: C:Robmcd3060Tri32002a2: No such file or directory
> In this case, the unquoted backslashes
> essentially just disappear, since in
> each case the character they precede
> is not special.

Thank you very much for your reply. I forgot the cardinal rule that
arguments entered on the command line must be quoted if they include
characters such as \ that are not meant as escape characters...

All of this brings me to the rather depressing conclusion that I cannot make
the same shortcut in cygwin that I often use in cmd.exe: copying a path from
Windows Explorer, alt-tabbing to the command prompt, typing "cd " with the
left hand then right clicking with the right hand and pressing enter to move
easily to a new directory. Usually, this technique is still easier than the
auto-complete functions available in bash and XP's cmd.exe...

Rob
:)