Re: Installation

Scott Taylor wrote:
> I seem to have the basic packages and directories installed, but I
> have ended up with 2 additional directories labelled with the name of
> the mirror site I used (think I attempted download more than once).
>
> i.e.
>
> bin
> etc
> ftp mirror site
> ftp mirror site
> home
> lib
> tmp
> usr
> var
>
> In the ftp directories I have the same files that are in /etc/setup,
> but instead of them being lst.gz files they are tar.bz2. I can use
> the CLI to view the directories with "ls -l" but not run commands
> like "locate".
>
> The /bin directory seems to have all the executables, and my PATH
> statement has C:\cygwin\bin.
>
> Please help

You are using the same directory as the package cache and install root. This
is not recommended.

Choose somewhere else as your package cache dir, and move the
ftp-mirror-site dirs there. Tell setup about this new cache dir next time
you run it. Setup stores the packages it downloads in the cache dir, in case
you want to reinstall. That is what the tar.* files are. The lst.gz files
are part of setup's accounting of what is installed - leave them alone.

Max.