Re: Bugs in Rsync?

Michael,

I honestly have no idea about your particular problems but I can tell you
that rsync has some limitations on what you can expect from it on all
platforms on which I've tried it so far. It's worth mentioning that I
_always_ use the restart option... In short, if the total space you wish
to point it at exceeds some 'n'G, then you can expect it to get into a
cycle of restarting with only modest progress on each pass, effectively
stalling forever. Oh sure, days later it may eventually finish, but I've
found that it's best to not give it such large workloads. I think it has
to do with the size of the difference between the source and destination
trees and doesn't pertain to the memory on the box, but that's a guess.
The best strategy (for me) has been to manually move (scp or whatever) if
there are many gigabytes of difference between the two trees, and only scp
when there's 2GB or less (as a guesstimate) of difference between the
trees.

And... I effect this with a short script, which is what I recommend you
do. I have a short shell script that walks the top level trees in
particular file systems. I log the sessions and when the script isn't done
in the morning or when the log shows more hours than usual, I look at
where in the tree the problem is and I add a hook to walk into that level
of the file system and do each item within separately. ...It's really easy
to code and it works great - AND it could help you explicitly walk over
problems like the one you report.

Hope this helps,
Richard

--