Re: ping on cygwin?

lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:

Hi again!

Again I have to direct you to the FAQ:

Why isn't package XXXX available in Cygwin? (Or, why is your package so out of date?) <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC52>
Thanks! I read it once again and hence I like to (try to) contribute - see below.

it's very worthwhile to check the FAQ, email archives and other
documentation for this kind of information before posting to the list.
I googled and searched for ping.exe since about 4 hours today.
I found some scripts in python and perl that might emulate a ping, found someone proposing to wrap MS-ping and emulate the return values by regexp the output and so on. Also I looked through various cygwin systems and package lists to find the appropiate cygwin package.
I also searched UnxUtils and the GnuWin32 project and the MS site incl. knowledgebase. All without success.

I learned a lot about raw icmp sockets and why only root is allowed to open them - making ping a setuid program.

> It's generally a time-saver for everyone as well as a good habit
> and good information source. :-)

Larry, really I think I was quite prepared before asking the list. I really didn't want to waste some of your time or to offend you by 'just asking' - maybe I should have written more clearly that I already tried to inform myself a a lot prior to asking.

I think 'ping' is a VERY essential tool and part of even every mini-linux/unix, I didn't just ask for some package XXXX. 'ping' is one of THE basic programs. It's even so essential that even MS makes a 'ping.exe' :-) So I thought and think that Cygwin must also provide a ping - and if not, there must be a good reason.

That's why I finally asked the group - I thought that maybe I could also save some precious time not searching further for hours or try to compile sth. that isn't possible with cygwin (yet).

> The answer to your last question might even already be in the email
> archives (and maybe not but at least then you'll be pretty sure you're
> not covering ground the list has already discussed).

I googled a lot and didn't find something. The search engine on the cygwin site gives internal server errors every second try, but the first 3 pages of results also didn't answer.

I also tried to compile by myself, but Lapo isn't right:
> AFAIK the "usual" ping.c compiles and works well on CygWin.
Unfortunately not. There are lot's of include (and mybe more) problems that have to be solved

OK!
I'm willing to contribute and try to solve that. If noone here has some other idea I think I found some missing program in the great cygwin-world. I'll try to compile ping from ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/iputils-current.tar.gz and I'll tel you about my success or failure later.

(Just to make clear and not to annoy: Is it allowed according to the mailing list regulations to ask the group for possible help while the development of such new packages? Or isn't that list the right place?)

Thanks for your help again
and best regards

Tino