This is the mail archive of the cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list for the Cygwin project.
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |
| Other format: | [Raw text] | |
Matthias,
On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 06:43:01PM +0100, Matthias Bobzien wrote:
> Mark and Jason, thanks for the quick responses!
You are welcome.
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > I have found that some SMTP servers do not accept mail with
> > unqualified domain names. This may be your problem.
> >
> > In the past, I have patched cron to "send mail" via procmail. Now,
> > I just use exim and configure it to accept unqualified domain names
> > from localhost.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand that correctly - can I use exim to run as a
> SMTP-server on my machine?
Yes.
> So could I change my ssmtp.conf to use my machine as a SMTP-server
Yes.
> and exim forwards it to the machine where my mail is collected (a
> POP-server)?
Maybe, see below...
This is my setup. I configure:
1. cron to deliver mail to $LOGNAME@$HOSTNAME (e.g., jt@althea) via
MAILTO
2a. exim to allow relaying from localhost (and my Linux box)
2a. exim to accept mail with unqualified domain names from any host
2b. exim to deliver non-local mail to my ISP's SMTP server
2c. exim to deliver local mail to the user's mailbox or via their
~/.forward file (e.g., for procmail)
3. ssmtp to deliver mail to localhost
See attached for my exim.conf file.
> I'm a bit confused here. Usually I use two servers to handle my mail:
> mailout.uni-bonn.de as SMTP-server for outgoing mail and
> mail.ikg.uni-bonn.de as POP-server for incoming mail. So is it
> possible to configure exim that way that I use it between cron (or
> whatever) and the SMTP-server?
Possibly, but I never tried because I read my mail with mutt so it
seemed more natural to just deliver cron mail directly to my (local)
mailbox.
> I thought the problem lies in the combination of cron and ssmtp. Both of
> them work fine separately. For example the following command entered on
> the command line
> /usr/sbin/ssmtp.exe -fbobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de <
> input.txt
> with input.txt as an empty file sends an empty mail to myself. Putting
> that line into crontab results with the errors
> (can't open the smtp port (25) on mailout.uni-bonn.de..) and (unable to
> connect to "mailout.uni-bonn.de" port 25..) in the event log.
Hmm...I don't know what to make of the above.
Jason
--
PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6
Attachment:
exim.conf
Description: Text document
-- Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |