This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Difficulties to download Cygwin when no Windows machine is available...
- From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf dot net>
- To: Brent Frère <Brent at BFrere dot net>,<cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:36:04 -0000
- Subject: Re: Difficulties to download Cygwin when no Windows machine is available...
- References: <3E103A17.80306@BFrere.net>
Brent Frère wrote:
> Cygwin is marvelous. Thank you for maintaining it. It's so powerful to
> convince our customers to migrate to open-source software and finally
> I just have to face a problem: I wish to download the entire CygWin
> distribution in order to give it to my customers on CDs (a way to
> promote your project without having to ask them to download it...)
> Your automatic installation procedure is very powerful, however it
> works only on Windows-running hosts... (that makes sense, if you wish
> to use it...). As professional telecom company, we don't have ANY
> windows based host here. So, I have huge difficulties to download the
> software in order to write some CD for our customers...
> Could you, as example, refer on your web site some URL so that it
> could be possible to download this marvelous project using plain
> http, ftp or rsync protocol instead of the Setup.exe tool ?
1. Nothing stops you using http or ftp.
2. You will have issues making sure you only download current versions of
packages though. Michael Chase's clean_setup.pl
(http://home.ix.netcom.com/~mchase/zip/) may help here, by parsing setup.ini
into a list of URLs to download.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html